The Therapy Agreement
1. Psychotherapy is confidential. This means that everything you talk about will normally be held in confidence between you and me (and my clinical supervisor), except in the following circumstances:
a where you give consent for the confidence to be broken;
b Where I am compelled by a court of law;
c Where information is of such gravity that confidentiality cannot be maintained, and where there is a case of serious harm to self or others.
d Where your GP has a ‘need to know’, eg. in cases of serious medical or mental health circumstances.
2. If you need to cancel a session I will need at least 24 hours notice. I charge the full fee for a cancellation of less than 24 hours.
3. Each psychotherapy session will last for 50 minutes. The frequency and timing will be mutually agreed in advance.
4. As long as you give me sufficient notice, I do not expect you to pay for sessions when you are away on holiday.
5. In the case of a missed payment, I would expect you to meet that payment at your next appointment.
6. If you arrive late, the session will come to an end at the agreed time and the full fee is still payable.
7. If you do not attend a session and I do not hear from you within 7 days I will assume you do not want to continue with your appointments.
8. I keep written reflective notes of our sessions and will be stored in a locked filing box.
9. I will undertake regular supervision relating to the work we are doing in line with the UKCP requirement. This helps me to help you better.
10. I adhere to the UKCP code of ethics relating to professional practice.
11. I may not continue with a session if you arrive for a session under the influence of alcohol or drugs. I recommend you abstain from alcohol or recreational drugs for at least 24-48 hours before a session if you have a dependency.
12. You can end the psychotherapy agreement at any time, preferably in negotiation with me. It is your right to choose to continue with therapy or not. Equally, the agreement can be ended by me in negotiation with you at any time if I feel you are not benefiting from the therapy work.